Catapult Branding Proposal – Symbol –
Brand Recommendation Proposal Translations
Summary of the Catapult Brand Recommendation Proposal
For NEM Community and Core Team Vote
CATAPULT BRAND RECOMMENDATION PROPOSAL LAUNCH
On December 19, 2019, at 3:00 PM PST (December 19, 2019, at 8:00 AM, UTC+9) there will be a vote on the proposed Catapult brand recommendation. It will be a non-binding POI yes/no vote on the combined items summarized below.
- Brand Name
- Brand Logo and Icon
- Brand Ticker
- Brand Identity
After significant work, the Catapult Brand Steering Committee has reached an agreement on this proposal. Contributions came from NEM Foundation, NEM Studios, NEM Ventures, Better Way Brand Agency, supernode owners, community members, core team and ecosystem partners.
Voting will take place on the NEM public chain using the NEM Wallet. Please note: In order to vote you must download and upgrade to the latest version of the NEM Wallet (version 2.4.7) found at https://nem.io/downloads/.
The voting process is as follows:
- Voting will commence on December 19, 2019, at 3:00 PM PST and will end on January 2, 2020, at 3:00 PM PST, taking into account the public holidays during this period.
- Voting will be considered valid if there is a minimum of 3% POI voting in either direction. (Note: “YES” & “NO” votes are not combined.)
- A YES vote must win a 65% majority for the vote to be considered successful for the non-binding vote.
- Step-by-step voting instructions can be found Here.
- Once the voting period has ended, the results and next steps will be announced by the Catapult Brand Steering Committee in the NEM Forums.
- If the result ends in ‘YES’ votes with a minimum of 3% POI and 65% majority criteria, the brand proposal will be considered as approved and the Brand Steering Committee will proceed with meeting the project timeline. If the result ends with insufficient ‘YES’ votes without the minimum of 3% POI or 65% majority criteria, the Brand Steering Committee will follow up with the Core Team and key NEM ecosystem partners on the best next steps based on feedback provided, with the goal of preventing delays in the upcoming launch.
More detailed documentation here:
- Brand Discovery Recap Here.
- Market Research documentation
- Detailed video from the Better Way Brand Agency Here.
We recommend going through the documents and video presentations in order to make the most informed decision before voting.
Tagline: “Powering Possibility”
- SBN (Symbol By NEM)
- SFN (Symbol From NEM)
Symbol’s marketing communications will be mainly focused on enterprise users, especially in Fintech, Healthcare, Gaming, Real Estate, Supply Chain, Insurance, Education, and Government.
These are where we have the highest competitive advantages. Competitors in these industries can’t match Symbol’s key selling points, which include:
- Simplicity and speed of enterprise deployment, driven by Symbol’s plugin engine.
- Security and reliability, driven by a blockchain architecture optimized for high performance.
- Native compatibility between chains, and public/private chain data.
- Open-source and fully trustless.
Symbol = A connector between blockchain and business
We plan to reach outside the crypto industry to a broader business audience. It’s critical that our communications focus on tangible benefits like:
- Create, exchange, and protect your assets with the power of blockchain.
- Cut costs and complexity.
- Improve effectiveness and efficiency; realize value quicker.
- Reduce time-to-market. Get to proof-of-concept faster than any other trustless platform allows.
As the crypto industry matures, there will be big opportunities for trustless platforms focused specifically on business needs. As Symbol establishes success in these industries over time, there will also be opportunities to expand its focus to broader crypto use cases like retail.
Symbol will also focus messaging on developers and building its open-source community.
Symbol’s logo design was inspired by a nod to NEM’s community and history by incorporating the Fibonacci Method into the design. Here
Symbol’s goal is to provide enterprise users with the simplest, strongest, and highest-performing blockchain platform.
Drawing from NEM’s DNA, Symbol’s values are openness, trustlessness, and empowerment. The tagline “Powering Possibilities” means possibilities for business, but also for developers, ecosystem members, investors, and those who want to create or make things better for society.
Symbol sees a future economy of interoperable tokenized assets and rights, and our vision is to lead the way to that future.
- Symbol Blockchain is the trusted, secure value exchange network for business.
- Symbol reduces business friction, increases trust, and expands the flow of ideas to accelerate innovation.
- We enable enterprises and developers, organizations and individuals, to create value together. Because together, everything is possible.
When it comes to how we speak to our audiences, we will adopt the same core principles to represent the brand.
Example of how the brand personality could be reflected in multi-media:
Symbol blockchain – open for business
Symbol provides the canvas for businesses to create, exchange and protect their assets
Transform the way you do business with Symbol
Cut costs and complexity;
improve effectiveness and efficiency; realize value quicker.
Together, everything is possible
Collaboration is at the heart of Symbol: it’s simple to create value together – for enterprise and developers who see possibilities.
The trusted, secure value exchange network for business
Symbol empowers the secure exchange of all assets.
For The Value Builders
Symbol is for the do-ers, the makers and originators, the entrepreneurs and creators – the people who want to participate.
The pragmatists. The optimists.
- The more confidence you have in your tech, the more open you are to explore and create.
- Verify value through Symbol’s plugin engine and put trust back into your business.
- Minimize risk by creating multiple co-signatories (MultiSig) to approve transactions on Symbol.
- Our technology smooths business friction, increasing the flow of interaction, information and innovation.
- Symbol works with your existing technology so your business can focus on creating value.
- Symbol blockchain works effortlessly across chains.
FAST AND EFFICIENT
- Our technology is intuitive to create with and build on.
- Symbol provides a secure and trusted platform to unblock, empower and speed up the processes that drive business.
The brand steering committee, in partnership with A Better Way creative agency, selected this branding after a thorough evaluation process and competitive marketplace analysis. Here are some reasons this branding rose above the rest:
- Symbol is easy to say, remember, and understand. (Works well in kanji too.)
- The name and visuals are high-tech, professional, and yet distinct from competitors.
- Symbol relates to the idea of tokenizing assets – a symbol represents an idea or object, just as a token represents an asset, claim, or bundle of rights.
- The logo visually conveys a hub or connection.
- It compares favorably to the branding of other technology products.
- It leans into the strengths of the technology and marketplace opportunity.
- It has a low risk of brand confusion or trademark conflicts.
Many of you have supported NEM since early on – thank you.
Some of you are newer to the community and are curious about learning more about the tech and what differentiates it from other blockchain protocols on the market today. You’ve probably read the documentation on GitHub or Qiita, downloaded the NEM Wallet, built some projects on NEM, or perhaps you’ve gone into Slack, BitcoinTalk or the Telegram channels Red or HelpDesk to get a sense of how things work in the NEM ecosystem beyond the typical POCs. Almost all of you, most likely, have heard about “Catapult”.
We hope this proposal helps inspire you to see a brighter future with the next evolution of products in the NEM ecosystem and the opportunities we have to fulfill the original community vision.
Thank you for your consideration and support,
Catapult Brand Steering Committee
Dan Bobby (Better Way Agency)
Dan Rowe (Better Way Agency)
Katie Barber (Better Way Agency)